RE: ballast formula

Original poster: "David Dean by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>

Hi James,

I have an old text book with some of that stuff in it.  It says:

L = N^2*mu*A/10^8*l

(L equals N squared mu A over ten to the eighth l)

where L is in henries,
and   N = number of turns
      mu = permeability of core (in English units)
      A = area of core in square inches
      l = mean length of core in inches

The mean length would be {twice the length of the center leg (with the I
part on there) plus twice half the width of the core} plus [the perimeter of
one window} / 2.

Trying to draw pictures with words is not my strong point. If you want, I
can scan the pages and email them to you.

later
deano