Re: Does it matter which way i wind my secondary?

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 18 Feb 01, at 11:38, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>
>
> Hi,
>
> > Does it really matter which way i wind my secondary? Does it have to
> > be wound upwards or downwards?
>
> Umm, there's no difference how you wind it.
>
> Say, you wind it counterclockwise. Then once it is finished you turn
> it over (bottom up, top down), and voilą, you've got a clockwise wound
> secondary now. ;o)

True for a flat spiral, false for a cylindrical coil. Does the sense
of a screw thread change when you invert the screw?

> Also, in the end, there's no difference in which way round you place
> the coil into your TC system, performance wise. The signal will always
> be AC sine wave, you don't get an "positive" or "negative" topload.
>
> But, in a twin TC coil, the winding sense in which the secondaries are
> placed does play a role. They have to be placed so that, considering
> primary coil winding directions, the output will be 180 degrees phase
> shifted - this is if you want to have the streamer breakouts between
> these secondaries. If the streamers should repel each other, you'll
> have to place that way round so you get 0 degrees phase shift.

That depends on whether both resonators are driven or one is passive
in which (second) case winding sense matters not.

Malcolm