RE: Does it matter which way i wind my secondary?

Original poster: "Ross Overstreet by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ross-o-at-mindspring-dot-com>

Drew,

Be careful - It is very dangerous to wind the primary and secondary in
OPPOSITE directions.  This can be almost as dangerous as building a
secondary out of aluminum wire (search the archives).  It must also be wound
from the bottom up so the voltage will RISE.

JUST KIDDING!

Sorry bro, couldn't resist.  It doesn't matter how you wind it.  As long as
it is one long uninterrupted section of wire you should be just fine.  I
like the RQ method of attaching the ground connection.  He suggested
soldering the wire and a nut to copper plate and epoxying this plate to the
lower end of the coil form.  This prevents the wire from entering the coil
form.  I like to route the HV end of the wire into the top of the form and
attach it to a stud that sticks out of my top plate.  This works fine as
long as you put 2 or 3 baffles inside the coil form to keep the HV from
tracking down the inside and blowing through into the wire or ground
connection.

I recommend coating the wound secondary with any of the 2-part epoxy based
coatings on the market.  I have seen Berh SuperBuild 50, Pour-On, and
Glaze-Coat all used with excellent results.  You will need a mechanical
rotator for the coating process since it takes about 5 hours to set.  They
leave a highly scratch resistant coating that is about 50 times thicker than
a typical coat of poly.  I don't have the electrical specs of the epoxy but
experience shows that it works as well as polyeurathane.

Seeya,
Ross-O
http://users.better-dot-org/roverstreet/