Re: Meissner oscillator and Other VTTC circuits

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

> david,
> this is a fantastic idea and much needed. i have wanted to build a vttc
> for about two years now, but while trying to find the very limited
> information available out there, there is the added problem of the
> lingo. it seems that everyone that builds a vttc, or anything having to
> do with tubes for that matter (we wont even get into the ham radio and
> amplifier folks, shew!), rattles of the design and operation like we are
> born with electron tube knowledge from the git go? a close group indeed.
> i'm not downing those in the know, but most of this time i have been
> trying to learn and understand what each and every part of the circuits
> are doing and how they are built. it will be refreshing if you could
> explain each part of the circuits in a language that anyone with a
> little electrical experience can follow and understand. after dr.
> duncans fine work with the quick and dirty vttc i feel a little more
> confident that i can, at the least, keep from letting the smoke out of
> the components. i'm starting small and if i manage to get even one tube
> to glow i will be happy.
> i will be patiently waiting for your article to be finished.
> thanks a bunch from all us non tubies out here,
> marc

	Unfortunately, the DESIGN of power amplifiers and oscillators IS a
fairly complex subject.  Easier with tubes than transistors, by the way,
and WITH PROPER CARE tubes are well nigh indestructible. Hope David's
paper will help the uninitiated.  Building to someone else's basic
design shouldn't be nearly as hard, but proper care is still important.
Note, by the way, that a big tube is a big tube, and almost any power
triode can be used provided you know the correct filament voltage and
pin connections.

Ed

By the way, I built my first tube coil about 1940, when I really didn't
know anything about anything, though I had memorized ohm's law.  I had
an ARRL handbook and tried to copy stuff out of it.  The thing still
worked after a fashion, and encouraged me to work on bigger and better
things.  Unfortunately, high school and college got in the way and I
have never built another VTTC, although I have plenty of ingredients now
and plans to build something "when I have the time".