Re: Tesla Coil - Original use

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> What you have basically described is a radio transmitter, where you try and
> radiate the energy as EM waves, rather than discharge it as a spark.
>
> So, the quick answer, is "Yes, lots of people have".
>
> As far as doing it for power transmission (as opposed to communications),
> I'm sure folks have tried it, but not on that scale, and certainly not
> successfully transmitted and received significant amounts of power (say,
> more than a kW) any distance at the typical subMHz tesla coil frequencies.

	Some time back someone reported the results of such experiments here.
Wonder of there is any way to retrieve the stuff from the archives?  I
seem to remember that it was Richard Hull or Richard Quick, but may be
way off base there.

	No one has even figured what it means to "drive the energy inward to
the earth".  All of Tesla's drawings show a coil with the bottom
connected to the earth, and the top connected to an upper terminal.  In
order for current to flow in the coil, the upper terminal must connect
to something to complete the circuit.  As far as I (or probably anyone
else) can tell Tesla's plan was to have the circuit closed by conduction
in ionized air.  That's not a single-circuit system!  The ionized
atmosphere in this scheme would serve as a conductor, or one side of a
transmission line.  The earth would provide the return circuit.  Only
wireless to the extent that the conducting atmosphere would replace a
wire.

> > Would be interested in  anyone's experiments in this area.  Have not built
> > 'coil' yet, but would like to when I can get a large enough tract of land
> > protect 'neighbors'.
> >
> > just a patient observer for now. (avid reader of Tesla original documents)
> >
> > jim

Ed