Re: A few quick questions....

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 2/4/01 03:10:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> 3. Positioning of the NST. I'm thinking of putting the MMC etc under the
> primary and secondary coils as in the most popular TC designs but was
> wondering if there are any undesireable effects of having all this equipment
> sitting in the magnetic field of the primary ? Particularly a huge lump of
> soft iron in the form of the NST !  If the NST is under the coil so that the
> mains leads run across the floor has anyone had a secondary strike the mains
> leads ? At the moment I'm leaning towards having the NST and NST protection
> filter at a distance from the coil and running the EHT leads across the
> floor....

yes, good idea to keep the NST away from your pri/sec.  Not only will it be
protected from direct hits,  NSTs usually perform better, (and from what i've
heard from people who learned the hard way :-|  ) last longer.

Good Luck,
Jonathon Reinhart

P.S. It's OK to have your MMC beneath your Pri/Sec

 /--|-|--\
 \--|-|--/
 ---------