Re: Arc tracking on RSG disk

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "tesla by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>

> Team
>
> Seem to recall a general guidline of at least 3 times the air gap distance
> to avoid surface tracking on G10 SRSG rotor.  Intend to achieve 27mm of
> insulating distance to nearest ground (a little over 1") for a SRSG with PK
> Volts of 12.7kV.
>
> Any practical tips ??

try to make the rotory electrodes at least 1" long from the disc to the end
of the electrode, I
have found that anything much shorter has a tendency to arc to the disc by
about 1/2" before the
electrode at 14KV. ( maybe my timing was off a bit , way too early, but
spark length was really
good at that setting)

Scot D