Re: Need info on Edwards Vacuum pump

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mike Harrison by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mike-at-whitewing.co.uk>

> I just picked up an Edwards E2M5 2-stage vacuum pump at a hamfest
> (UKP25 - I think that was a bargain!)
>
> Does anyone have any info on this pump, and any general 'care and
> feeding' type tips for someone like me whose knowledge of vacuum
> systems is comparable to the amount of air in them?!
>  How critical is the oil type - can I use compressor oil?
>
> Is the vacuum created by this type of pump likely to be good for
> plasma-sphere/crookes tube type effects and messing with low-pressure
> argon?
> Anyone know of any  'fun things' (HV or otherwise) to do with a vacuum
> pump?

	Just did a Google search on "Edwards E2M5" and suggest you do as well.
Looks like a very good pump, ultimate pressure 0.75 x 10-4 Torr, which
should be good for about anything a mechanical pump will do.  Certainly
should work for your desired applications.

Ed