Re: Big Spark Induction Coil

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Kurt Schraner" <k.schraner-at-datacomm.ch>
>
> induction cols have become to look like "older brothers of TC's" to me.
> It took some time of the passing year to construct my big specimen, and
> to ponder over it. A few webpages, dealing with the coil, can now be
> seen under:
>
> http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/index.htm

This is a very interesting project. An induction coil is really not
much different from a Tesla coil. The inductances are larger, the
coupling higher, the operationg frequencies are lower, and the losses
are probably higher.
The lumped model for analysis and simulation is essentially the same,
with the difference that the initial energy is in the primary inductor
instead of in the primary capacitor. This leads to some differences
in behavior and different parameters for optimum design. With a dimmer
and a capacitor in series with the primary as excitation, the behavior
is very similar to what happens in a capacitor-discharge Tesla coil,
and the same relations are applicable.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz