Re: gregory's 2.2 kW MOT's

Original poster: "J Whyte by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <xoom321-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>We have some 2200 W ovens where I work. I'd love to hook one of those
>xfmrs to my DC tank...  Would one expect them to be a higher voltage
>or higher current than the average MOT?
>
>Happy New Year,
>Gregory

I've never seen 2.2 kW MOT's before....but I have heard of them! I bet they
weight around 20 lbs! They have the potiential to output
2150V ~ 2500V -at- 800 mA or more!! They are monsters...and would make a KILLER
TC supply. Sure...you could hook'em up to produce DC current.

Greg:::

Are these the 120 VAC type or the 230 VAC type??? You could easily stickem
on double input voltage. Industrial MOT's are much more robust than standard
MOT's and have higher quality insulation on the magnet wire.

...you could even series 4 of them and get yourself a cheap pole pig!!
It would run 8.8 kW (max input current rating) at close to 17 kVAC. If you
are going to play with series set up stick the MOT's under oil!! and isolate
the cores to prevent nasty corona discharges during TC operation.

Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn-dot-com