Re: electrocution experiences

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 12/30/01 12:34:23 AM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> "J Whyte by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <xoom321-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> Q: Anyone here been accidently hit by the secondary output streamers of a
> LARGE tesla coil??? Any electrocution stories out their???
>
> (this maybe slightly off topic) but very important as a lesson in what NOT
> TO DO!!!

I have been accidently hit by the streamers from "Medusa",
which is my 10 kVA pole pig driven Tesla coil BUT, it was
running at very reduced power levels when this occurred.
When I "pull the ears back" on her, she'll through out +10 ft.
arcs, but she was running at a power level that was only
yielding 3 to 4 ft.sparks when this occurred. Yours truly,
"MR. Dumb Butt" bent down to get a closer look at the
RSG activity and my back came "within" the strike zone!
Fortunately though I was pretty shaken up and it was quite
painful, I wasn't injured. I'm just glad that this didn't oc-
cur with the power turned up high! Since this incident, I
never step out from behind my chiken wire Farady shield
when operating Medusa!

Sparkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben