RE: spark length formula needed*

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Marc -

Thank you for your interest in the JHCTES program. Although this program has
taken several years to develop based on real world coils the program still
requires improvement. One example is the spark length parameter. The program
shows that the spark length increases as the power source voltage (NST
secondary) increases. This voltage is also dependent on the voltage
regulation of the source, and thereby hangs a tale.

The voltage regulation differs for NST, pole transformers, bombarders, etc.
Because of this variation the spark length for a NST at a certain apparent
wattage will be less than for a pole transformer, etc, of the same wattage.
The JHCTES program does not take voltage regulation into consideration and I
have never heard of any spark length equation that does. Some day when
enough test info becomes available, this voltage regulation parameter can be
added to equations and computer programs.

Voltage regulation for a certain power source can change with the type of
load applied. This may be the reason that some coilers have found a jump in
streamer behavior when the power changes because Tesla coil operation is a
varying load type of operation.

John Couture