Re: winding length

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 12/18/01 3:50:05 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi list
>
>  Hi im about to wind my first coil. i have 4500 feet of wire im thinking of
> using a 6 inch diameter pipe. any suggestions on the length of the winding
> or
> # of turns i should use im using 22 awg mag wire. any imput is appriciated
> thatnx
>

>                                         Frank
>
> Frank

,

My six inch diameter secondary is wound with #22 wire with a winding length of
27.6".  This provides a 4.6 : 1 ratio of length to diameter.  It has about 1021
turns and used about 1600 feet of wire.  It works well and produces 104" sparks
at about 7 kva.
I would go with somewhere between 27 and 30" for winding length.

Ed Sonderman