Re: Gapped DC Charging Reactor Performance

Original poster: "Mike Nolley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nolleym-at-willamette.edu>

> So I think one should select 2 MOTs with high inductance (they seem to range
> from 10 to 20ish Henry - use the 20+ Henry ones), gap them both, and run
> them in series.  Next best is to use 3 or 4 ungapped MOTs in series.  For
> extra credit, construct your own 50 Henry gapped DC charging reactor!  The
> alternative is to always use BPSs of more than 450 with small diameter gap
> elements on a large diameter RSG (to minimize dwell times) and just use one
> MOT.
>
> Comments and your experiences welcomed please!

    Great results!   It might be interesting to see how far one could push
the inductance before the
gap firing voltage decreased. (the larger the inductance, the longer it
takes to charge--if the
inductance is too large it won't charge to maximum voltage) It might be
useful to find an ideal
inductance-per-breakrate.
    I think using the un-gapped Mot is probably the best solution for those
who aren't constrained
space-wise, since the advantage may not be all that great, considering the
drop in inductance.
    I'm planning on building my own Mot power supply in the next month or
so, and I'll keep you all
updated.  Thanks for your work Steve!
                --Mike