Re: Jacob's Ladder

Original poster: "Kent Vander Velden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <graphix-at-iastate.edu>

  Probably not beneficial in this case, but I have heard of sealed
containers being used to amplify or perhaps distort the sound of a
Jacob's ladder.  The length of the container was important...  Sorry
that I don't remember the details, but perhaps someone else has the
details... seems like the container needed to be fairly good sized.

  Anyone else ever heard of this?

In message <4.1.20011207202759.00a26148-at-pop.dnvr.qwest-dot-net>, "Tesla list" write
s:
>Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>
>
>Hi Mark,
>
>It should work fine but ladders generate a LOT of heat.  It may overheat reall
>fast unless you have a large volume of gas or only run it for a short time.
>The convection currents in the gas my be "odd" in a sealed container too.
>Experimentation would tell all.
>
>Cheers,
>
>        Terry
>

>At 03:17 PM 12/7/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>> Hey,
>> I was wondering if the electrodes of a jacob's ladder could be put inside a
>> sealed jar filled with low pressure argon or helium so a longer arc could be
>> obtained from a lower powered source? This way a flyback that could produce
>> 1/2-1" arc might be able to do two inches and have a thicker arc resembling
>> the streamers of commercial plasma globes.
>>
>> Mark

---
Kent Vander Velden
kent-at-iastate.edu