TSG update

Hello all,

I did some more tests using the TSG.  I wanted to test the
arrangement that Weazle mentioned of grounding the HEIC
core, and using a capacitor from the HV terminal to the
trigger electrode.  I tried this, but the safety gap still fired
even with the TC not running.  The spark is seeking ground
though the safety gaps.  It seems that most folks use a
Terry filter and the filter gives enough blocking to the
pulse so the safety gaps don't fire.  I never use any kind of
protective filters on my coils, I just use safety gaps.  It's a
good idea to use a filter though, because the RF is not good
for the NST windings, although I've had no failures.  Coilers
who don't use filters need to consider this issue of the safety
gaps firing.  I find that most NST failures result from setting
static gaps too wide, so they fire unsteadily.  I generally use
a sync rotary rather than a static gap because of the great
smoothness and performance of the sync rotary.

To solve the issue of the safety gaps firing using the TSG,
I connect the HV terminal directly to the trigger electrode,
I ground the HEIC core, and I connect a capacitor from
the HEIC core to each electrode of the main spark gap.
This lets the trigger electrode "see" ground though these
caps, and it seems to work OK.  The safety gaps don't fire.

I'm able to turn the power up to about 116 volts on the variac, higher
than that, the coil runs unsteadily.  I'm not sure if there's a quenching
problem, a phase range problem, a jitter problem, or gap adjustment
problem.  As a test, I shut off the fan, and then I could only turn the
variac up to about 113 volts before the unsteadiness began,
and the sparks were shorter.  So it's quite possible that
quenching is becoming an issue.  I think I need more phase range
too.  I tried various gap spacings, and I couldn't really get it to
work any better than it is now.  This TT-42 coil may draw
almost 800 watts or so, and I think some folks have said they
needed a good airflow at 800 watts.  This suggests that it may
not be possible to build a TSG which quenches well at 800
watts or higher without special techniques, such as using a
multiple gap, an air blast, or certain electrode materials.  I'm
using silver gaps which may not be the best at these powers.
If the TSG needs such extra parts at high powers, it may no
longer be compact or simple to build.  I can't help but believe
that the ferocious brightness of the TSG spark, along with the
purported loudness, signify substantial gap losses compared
to a sync rotary.  A sync rotary gives a much more muted gap
arc.  As it is, my rotary is a lot smaller and simpler
than my combined TSG setup.  Rotaries are very simple devices,
but the required machining to build them scares off some folks.
Nevertheless, until I obtain adequate quenching, and phase range,
I can't complete my comparison of TSG vs. sync rotary.  I may
need to build the John Tebbs 555 timer based circuit so i can
get enough phase range, and cure any possible jitter problems.

Cheers,
John