RE: Calculation of tank cap

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ajones18-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

In <4.1.20011130190425.00a194d0-at-pop.dnvr.qwest-dot-net>, on 11/30/01
   at 07:04 PM, "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> said:

>Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

>The photocopy transformers were ferroresonant transformers which had
>three windings. The extra winding was for connection to a large
>capacitor. Without using the capacitor, the transformer has an output
>of 2500V at 300mA. With the capacitor attached, the voltage output is

Mine are rated at 5000v each. That was the description in the catalog.

>leakage inductance and a saturating shunt inductance. They did not
>perform well in tesla application with the capacitor attached.

Very true. Leave them off.

>capacitor for about $50. They may still be available. I recall that
>some coilers were getting six foot streamers using two transformers

Haven't seen them in H&R in awhile, C&H Sales might still have them. I
got several hits of 95" with two in series and .09uF capacitance.

>in series without attached capacitors. I have four of these
>transformer, but I just never got around to fortifying the insulation
>on the secondary leads.

All I did was dunk them in mineral oil.

Alan Jones