Re: Calculation of tank cap

Original poster: "Herwig Roscher by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>

Barton B. Anderson wrote:
> I'd say math was right and method was wrong

Barton,

So I had a partial success at least  ;-)

> Have you ran your math with a typical transformer?
- One of my larger MOTs takes 0.4 A without load at 230 V / 50
Hz. In order not to confuse anybody, I scaled it to 120 V = doubled
the current for the example (not really correct).

> How about my pole pig:
> Open load current of primary winding = 0.25 A
- That's really small!

> Hold on to your seat,
> Add 50 % for LTR-cap: = 1.15 nF
- Amazingly small and obviously wrong for a pole pig!

> Cres should be near to 128nF.
- Calculated or found from tests?

> I'd say your better off sticking with Terry's formula of 0.83 x Io /
(BPS x Vo).
- A clear word - thank you!

Take care,

Herwig