RE: First light

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

For your 8" copper toroid, I assume the 8" is the major diameter?  If so, a
12/30 power supply should have more than enough power to drive this.  I
suspect a tuning problem.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Vanderputten, Gary by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gvp-at-pvaintl-dot-com>

After 40 years, I have recaptured the magic. It took two months to build a
400w  3x 15" coil out of lexan and eBay parts, but I followed all the advice
given in the List, designed it to the observed consensus 'specification' of
the list, and it worked beautifully the first time, and almost exactly as
described in all  those the TC calculation applications that I down-loaded.
10-12 streamers for starters!.

The system is driven by a 12/30 NST with 2x3  10kv/.01mf caps (the ones that
are sold on eBay which many of you guys hate, although they run cool for me
without incident). The flat primary was the most difficult aspect of the
job. (Anyone wishing to work in plexus-glass should contact me for some hard
earned tips). The Fritz/Lau low pass protection circuit works fine. 8 pipe
SG runs cool as well.  All the lexan makes it quite stunning to look at and
perhaps I can sneak it past my wife as sculpture. However, an eight inch
copper toroid did little and was quickly replaced by a 3" brass ball which
is fine. Is hollow better than solid? I suspect the former was just too big
for such a modest coil. More tuning is in order.

Many thanks to The Tesla List, Terry Fritz, Gary Lau, Stephan Kluge, and 100
other's whose sites I visited for my education and much enjoyment.

Gary of Brooklyn