Re: electrostatic charges and TC's

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

> Tesla list wrote:

> > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <Cydesho-at-aol-dot-com>

> > I was running my coil today for a couple of minutes and after I was done, I
> > went to pick up a extra toroid that was lying in the vicinity. I got a big
> > static shock from it. I  didn't think that tesla coils built up static
> > charges because the operate on alternating current.

	It is over simplifying to think of AC and DC only.  Much TC
	work can involve 'asymmetrical AC' (which has a DC component.)

	Also, the leakage/corona effects are nonsymetrical,  so even
	if pure AC (field or direct connection) is applied, a residual
	DC Component can be seen.   There is a class of HV rectifier
	called (roughly) field ion emission (??) based on this.

	The 'shocks/sparks from depowered secondary (form)' has has
	been discussed previously, check the archives.  I think the last
	thread was 'strange shocks'.  It appears that the coil form
	can store charge nicely.  So can a toroid, if on an insulating
	surface.

> Hi Justin....

> T-Coils put out tremendous amounts of EMF depending on the size of the
> active coil) and can charge many items in the surrounding area...
>my bigpig coil is almost 1/2 the frequency of my smaller 8" coils
> natural frequency and whenI run the bigpig coil I have to make sure
> the smaller coil is NOT near anything metallic....

> I have seen the smaller secondary/toroid combo sitting on the bench
> arcing to tools and such when the bigpig coil is running ( we are
> talking 3" arcs from the smaller secondary grounding lead to nearby
>tools and such in close proximinty to earth grounded items...
> (like variacs plugged into the socket, extension cords, and nearby power
> tools) not a good situation...

	All quite true, tho i think the original inquiry was concerning
	shocks/spark after power off.  Thus:

> I could imagine that a toroid can be charged quite easily...

> also the capacity of the secondary that was just run can also carry a
> charge even tho it has been disconected fron the coil assembly and
> "discharged", depending on the secondaries make up, ( PVC, lexan,
> cardboard) will determine the "retaining" factor of the charge of
> the secondary....  my smaller coil (lexan tube) holds a vicious charge
> and the bigpig coil ( sonotube ... cardboard) has a minimal
> charge holding capacity...

	Just so...
	There has been much discussion of this this, cf the archives.
	Any 'insulator', varying with type can store charge, semi
	permanently.  cf 'electrophorus' or 'electret'.

	best
	dwp