RE: Secondary winding - all one length?

Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>

Janet: Due to carelessness on my part last year, I had a burn occur to the
lower part of a secondary already wound. The burn separated one turn of the
winding. To repair it, here is what I did. And this technique is the same if
you must use two rools of wire <obviously one length is preferred>

Get a small, flat file. Place the end of wire number one on a hard, filable
surface. File that wire end flat on on side. Think chisel tooth shaped. Do
the same with the start of the next roll. Then using sand paper, remove all
the insulation on each end for about 1/4 inch. Don't over do the insulation
removel. Only as much as you need around the wire ends.

Dip each end in rosin core soldering paste. Thin coat, not heavy.

Finally, I clamped the two chiseled shaped ends together using a small
hemostat <available at your local RadioShack store> leaving both hands free.
Lastly, I used a solder station with just enough heat to apply a thin coat
of solder to flow into the space where both ends overlap.

It worked. But was it fun? NO, it wasn't.
Oh, you'll also have to replace that insulation. Finger nail polish is good
and some use Silicon goop for automotive and weathersproofing.

Hope the above helps. Or, you may wish to simply buy a large chunk of wire
and skip the process altogether.

Safety First

Ted

Subject: Secondary winding - all one length?

Original poster: "Janet Johnson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jpjmassage-at-earthlink-dot-net>

I am a total beginner just starting to build my first coil.  I went out and
bought #22 wire - 2 pounds of it.  However, I bought it in 2 one-pound
spools.
I didn't even think about it until I got ready to wind the secondary.  Can I
solder the ends together to get enough turns or did I waste my money?