Re: Mystery Transformer

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

At 05:20 PM 07/08/01 -0600, you wrote:

>Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz
>
>Dear List,
>
>I have a big, fat, E I type transformer I'm hoping you can help
>me identify.  It is labeled: "RANDTRONICS 143A00379"
>and "SDS MAGNETICS".
>The dimensions are 7.5"W, 6.25"H, and 3.5"D.
>The core windows are about 1.25"W x 3.25"H.
>The center leg is about 2.5" x 3.5".
>It has eight, screw-type terminals, four to a side.
>The terminals on one side are labeled X1 thru X4,
>and on the other side they are labeled H1 thru H4.
>Does anybody know what I've got?
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Greg

Hello Greg,

It sounds like you got yourself a pretty sizeable transformer there
that might be useful in its present form, or would provide a great
core to wind a ballast on.

The H1 > H4 terminals are the high voltage side, while the X1 > X4
terminals are the low voltage side.  Here's a test you can do that
will help identify things for you.

Join X2 to X3 and join H2 to H3, then using a variac, carefully
apply about 6 to 10 volts across H1 and H4 and then measure the
voltage across the X1 and X4 terminals with an AC meter.  You'll
likely only get a small needle deflection, or low reading on a
digital meter, but it will give you some reading.  Adjust your
meter range until you can get a reading which is accurate.

Knowing the voltage you applied to H1 and H4, you can then figure
out the ratio between the primary and secondary by dividing it by
the voltage you measured between X1 and X4.  Likely you've gotten
what's known as a control transformer, which drops a high voltage
(like 600 for example) down to 120 and/or 240.  Let me (us) know
what you find with this test.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca