Marc's STSG HVtesting

Hi All,

I thought I would pass along the night's testing of the high voltage
electronics testing for the STSG project(s).

I had the controller and HV section together:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/MarcMetlicka-STSG/HVTest/system.jpg

The minimum dwell was at 1.36mS after the AC line zero voltage crossing:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/MarcMetlicka-STSG/HVTest/before.gif

The maximum dwell was at 7.24mS after the AC line zero crossing:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/MarcMetlicka-STSG/HVTest/after.gif

The dimmer knob passed the firing point perfectly between these two extremes.

So it looks like we have a range -61 to +66 degrees (-2.8 to 3.1 mS) for
the firing angle around the AC line peak.  Easily within the range LTR
coils need :-)))

I don't "think" you can blow anything up here.  All the voltages and
currents in the circuit are well within what they should be and there are
ten MOVs in the system to take accidents...  A 250-500pF 30kV cap will add
another layer of safety between the GM coil's output and the spark gap.

I plan on using a long wire carrying only the hot and neutral to the HV
section.  The controller has an AC line ground and a RF ground to catch
anything that might get through.  The HV section has the RF ground from the
coil.  The idea is not matter what goes wrong or blows up around the gap,
the controller will stay safe and maybe not fail either ;-)

Cheers,

	Terry