Re: doorknobs for triggered gap

Hi Marc,

At 11:47 PM 8/1/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>all,
>if anyone is looking for some cheap doorknobs to try terry's excellent
>work on the control circuit, www.bgmicro-dot-com has 1200pf 5kv ones for
>$1.95 each. i know we're talking 6 in series and i'm hopping it will
>suffice with 30kv-at-200pf, but this will be what i'm going to order?
>right now i'm thinking of using 1000pf-at-50kvac NWL capacitor to try it in
>tc service?
>terry,
>do you think this will work? i could series two for 500pf-at-100kvac, but
>these things are just so BIG at 2" square x 12" long. it seems like the
>coils output will get lost in them?

I think they will do fine.  I will have to play with the isolation cap
values and there are a number of other possible ways to isolate the high
power from the low.  Photo flash tubes are a good example.  Even resistors
or some poly and some aluminum foil would work.  I found a wide range of
nice ~2uF high voltage caps from DigiKey for the motor run cap so that one
is done.

>i have "SOMEWHAT" everything you suggest to build and try, values may
>very some?

I just used what I had too.  Use what you have and if it doesn't work maybe
I can tell you where to kick it. :-))

>great to here it phases so much and looks so smooth, can't wait to see
>the difference in coils performance.

Yeah!  Load up the dimmer with about 400 watts worth of pure resistance in
parallel with the cap and coil stuff.  That returns the dimmer's operation
to what it should be and the triac will then trigger very well and be
nicely adjustable.

>maybe the safeties won't fire so much with a smoother trigger? we shall
>see shortly.(long night, no sleep tonight)

I noticed a tone of jitter before the load resistors.  To bad they waste so
much power as just heat...  No chance of using PFC caps or anything like
that here.

Too bad it is costing so much at about $75 for all new stuff.  But the
savoy coiler should be able to find cheap surplus stuff if they look
around.  We'll have to find what is critical and what is not.  That
overpriced line filter has to go.  Nice for lab work but too high for
normal applications.

I will have to chop on my stuff now to get it into a different form for
testing.  Or just by a new dimmer, switch, and such since they are so cheap...

Cheers,

	Terry