Synchronize to your RSG (was Re: RATs)

Original poster: "Marco Denicolai by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <marco.denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Finn Hammer by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <f-hammer-at-post5.tele.dk>

> Some experiments are great: if they succeed, the by-product is a great
> toy.
> Other experiments suck: although it is good to know, how _not_ to do
> things, the byproduct is a pile of junk.

I have experienced a lot of the second sort, my junk stack is higher
(and wider) than your :)

>(SNIP)I think that a remotely adjustable gap must have some sort of
> indication of the actual electrode position at the controll box. This
> could be done by using a servo motor drive at the SRSG, or by using
> stepper motors, but if the operator cannot see where the electrode that
> doesnot produse a discharge is at, then he doesn`t know which electrode
> controll knob to adjust to get it to produce a discharge, and then the
> whole thing gets very confusing. I will describe another solution to the
> problem later.....

If things go as I wish, I will need in the near future a way to
synchronize the Thor RSG to its power supply, in order to start charging
only just after the electrodes are loosing vicinity (my english language
skills must shine once again :) ).
Anyway, I think my solution could be good for you too. I thought to get
one of those industrial sensor where you have just 12 VDC in, contact
out or something like that, and that react to a piece of black (or
magnetic) tape placed on the RSG rotor side.
These are really waterproof encapsulated and shouldn't be expensive.
Then you'll have a SYNC pulse always in correspondence of the Nth
eletrode and would be a child play to synchronize the scope, identify
the electrode time collocation, etc.

Finn, you did a great job with the RAT coil!

Regards

--

 Marco Denicolai           Senior Design Engineer
 Tellabs Oy                tel: +358 9 4131 2769