RE: Basic TS curcuit conflict

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Hi Jonathan:

Assuming that nothing else was changed, the two circuit configurations
_should_ result in identical performance, both in terms of spark length
and racing spark behavior.  The things that affect racing sparks are the
pri/sec coupling and the "bang" size, or the size and charging voltage
of the tank cap.  Changing just between the two circuit configurations
shouldn't affect any of these.  But then I've never tried the other
configuration so I can't be 100% sure that something else isn't going
on.

The reason for favoring the gap-across-the-NST configuration has only to
do with generating the least amount of stress on the NST.  The goal is
to minimize the high frequency oscillations that the NST secondary sees.
The HF oscillations occur while the gap is firing and the tank circuit
is oscillating.  Now, if the gap is across the NST, the gap is
essentially a short circuit when it's firing.  So the voltage across the
gap and hence the NST is minimal.  If the "other" configuration is used
with the cap across the NST, the full amplitude of the tank oscillations
would be across the cap and also the NST.

Terry Fritz performed some detailed experiments comparing the two
configurations and documented the procedure and results in a paper on
his web site.  See:
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/primarycircuits/pricir.html

That you're getting racing sparks AND that you blew a tank cap may
suggest that your spark gap is set too wide.  This would generate large
"bangs" and result in racing sparks, and also be very hard on your caps
(and NST).  How wide is it?

Regards, Gary Lau
MA USA

>Original poster: "jpeakall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<jpeakall-at-mcn-dot-org>

>Hi All,
>
>I Have a small coil I have been operating off various power sources.
The