xfrmr rewinding, was: Re: SECONDARY WINDING AND COATING JIG

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

Sparky,
       400ma, was that by design or what. Did you just remove all shunts,
or just some, if so how did you decide how many - trial and error or
computed. Did you actually measure the short circuit current (like Terry
suggests with a voltmeter across a 1kohm (high wattage) resistor shorted
across the output?).

I'ld like to know how to design for a given short-circuit-current, but I've
not seen anything describing how (how to design a non-current-limited power
transformer is described very well in "Roll your own power transformers"
at   http://members.tripod-dot-com/~schematics/xform/xformer1.htm   but this
gives no clue about current-limited transformers.

The power transformer web page suggests #24 to #25 wire for 400 ma (1 to .75
CircMils per ma) for continuous duty. I take it you've not had any problems
with #30 though, presumably since TC usage is typically very very low duty
cycle.

-Peter Lawrence.