Re: Questions from a newbie in Australia

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Stacy Gillett by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <sgillett-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> Hello all...
>
> I'm a uni student from Geelong (a town near Melbourne in Australia), and I'm
> planning to build my first coil.  I've got most of the parts together, but
> I'd like to ask some questions before I start putting anything together:
>
> 1.  Instead of a single NST, I have two 15/25 units.  The problem is that
> they both have one side of their secondaries shorted (in effect, they can
> only put out about 7500V each).  The guy at the sign shop I got them from
> said that I could get 15kV out by tying their centre-taps together and
> taking the HV from each of the good secondaries (the bad sides are not
> connected to anything).  Assuming that I had the primaries wired up in
> parallel and in the correct phase, would this arrangement work?

	Sure would.  I'd put a dead short on the "shorted" sides.  Been running
half of a 9 kV, 60 ma transformer that way for years, although not for
TC work.

Ed