Re: Tesla Coil Blunderbusses

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

Malcolm,
I have never used a STO scope. The Tek 545B is capable of some fantastic
triggering action. I have been playing around with the antenna placement and
backing off the variac
to see a nice clear ringdown. Placing the automobile whip antenna parallel
(Horizontal) to
the coils and several feet away seems to produce the best patterns.
The patterns are too jittery to see the first several notches but the rest of
the trace is clear and sharp. By increasing the sweep rate and fiddling with
the
triggering I think I can see the RF signal. I cannot see any beats. John Freau
has been patiently trying to teach me something about the scope traces but
the learning
is very slooow. My 48 inch bipolar has now been coaxed into giving out a 40
inch spark. Do you have any suggestions on how I might get this sick pup to
put out the remaining 8 inches? I am especially interested in using whatever
diagnostics I can get from the scope
to optimize the SG performance.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman