Re: streamer length = volts ?

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi hoggwild89, (please use first names, we all do),

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "hoggwild89 by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<hoggwild89-at-netzero-dot-net>

> Drawing an arc x inches off the secondary...equals xxxx volts per inch ???
>
> Whats the formula ??

To derive a voltage potential for a given sparklength is highly
questionable for more reasons than I
care to think about. What has been shown by John Freau and verified by
countless coils is sparklength
follows a power relationship rather closely. In otherwords, sparklength
potential has been best
predicted by input watts and coil efficiency.

John derived an emperical formula for NST powered coils: sqrt(input watts)
* 1.7.

You could calc input watts from a sparklength (+/- a coils efficiency). For
example, a 60"
sparklength:

(60 / 1.7)^2 = 1245 watts. Furthermore, if you measured 1800 watts at a 60
inch sparklength, then you
could say the coil is running at 45% JF Efficiency (but, one should measure
at 120 bps for apples to
apples comparison).

Take care,
Bart A.