Re: Pregnant Caps, and a challenge.

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/20/01 1:52:41 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> A Jolt Award to ANYONE, member or not, to be the first to successfully
> operate a Tesla coil, for 24 hours or more, non-stop, producing streamers
> in
> excess of 24". (This rules out the little toy coils).

Hi all,

I would think that a large (> 5 kVA) coil system would be able to
put out a ~ 30" spark with variac gated down to this level for a
considerable period of time, since it would be running at such a low
stress level as opposed to its power level potential.

David Rieben