Re: Rotary SG???

In a message dated 4/18/01 8:27:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> <raven0075-at-home-dot-com>
>
>  I am getting a 1/3 HP AC motor , looking at building my first Rotary GAP.
>
>  I have been browsing allot of the info on Rotary Gap setups.
>
>  Question 1.
>  What is the appropriate disk size.
>  If I am going to run at 1800 RPM do I  use 4 electrodes and at 3600 RPM do
>  use 2 electrodes?
>  And is there any detailed info on where to get a 110V 5-10 amp
potentiometer
> so
>  I can tune the gap live? Or is this bad on motors.
>
>  Thanks
>  Brian W.

Brian,

It sounds like you plan to modify the motor and build a synchronous
rotary gap (as opposed to an async gap).  That number of electrodes
and motor rpm is correct for 120 bps.  If you want 240 bps, you'll
need double the number of electrodes.  I'm not sure what you mean
about tuning the gap, but I assume you mean adjusting the sync
phase.  This can be done using my phase shifter circuit while the
coil is running.  It uses a variac, not a potentiometer.

  http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

John Freau