Re: Rewinding BIG transformer

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

The size of the filter cap depends on how much ripple you want to tolerate.
A first order approximation is to figure out the drop in voltage over 1/2
cycle at your current draw.  For 60 Hz, the time is 8.33 milliseconds, for
50, it's 10 ms (heck of a lot easier to do line frequency math with 50 Hz
power...).

voltage drop (i.e. ripple) (in volts) = current (in amps) * time (in
seconds) (8.33E-3)/ (filter cap size in Farads)

Example:  1000 uF, 1 Amp... 1 * 8.33E-3/1000E-6 = 1 * 8.33E-3/1E-3 = 8.33
Volts...

If it were a 1000 V supply, this would mean you'd have less than 1% ripple,
which is pretty good.  If you had a 15 V supply, you'd have about 60%
ripple, which is pretty bad (hence the huge caps on 5V DC power supplies)

Note that running at a higher frequency helps a whole lot.  At 400 Hz, the
half cycle time is only 1.25 ms, cutting the size of the filter cap (for the
same ripple voltage) by a factor of 6 or 8.

These are APPROXIMATIONS!  In reality, you are charging the filter cap
non-instantaneously, and with a finite source impedance, etc., but, they
will get you in the ball park.