Re: Can anyone explain this???

Original poster: "Scott Fulks by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <darkthing-at-earthlink-dot-net>

>From your website, I assume you have not yet added the main MMC, and so are
testing your transformer and spark gap alone.  If you have the main
capacitor installed, my analysis below will not make much sense.

The addition of the transformer bypass caps to ground will boost the spark
output because they act as a discharge cap.  Basically you just built a
mini-MMC of 4x500pF caps in series-parallel, giving you 500pF across the +
and - outputs of the transformer (the fact that the center of the cap array
is grounded is irrelevant).

I'd guess that the 30-to-38 amp power jump is due to the hotter gap.
According to an old spark-gap radio manual, the resistance of a gap is
reduced when more current flows across it.  The discharge of the 500nF
capacitor will give you much more instantaneous current than the direct
400mA output of the transformer, so the gap will have a lower resistance,
drawing more tranny current.

I don't know whether this can hurt the transformer, but it doesn't sound any
more strenuous that the actual coil operation will be.

Regards,
Scott Fulks (darkthing-at-earthlink-dot-net)