RE: VARIAC

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Will

That complete X-ray power supply and control panel for $300, especially if
you can pick it up your self, is another incredible discovery. S&H charges
for heavy objects is murder incorporated. Beware that the X-ray transformer
may contain PCB's if it comes from the early 60's or earlier. PCB's
represents a legal liabiltiy. The power supply may contain a large
autotransformer with a lot of taps, which you can use to ballast a pole pig
or the X-ray transformer. If the unit has DC output, you can convert to AC
output by removing the diodes from the transformer tank. With AC output you
can build a huge Jacob's ladder. The diodes can be employed in a pulsed DC
supply to the tank circuit of a Tesla coil. You cannot use the X-ray
transformer to power a tesla coil, unless you have $10,000 or more to spend
on capacitors. X-ray transformers are no more dangerous than NST's, both are
killers. X-ray transformers are hard to come by, if you can afford it, get
that beast. I also got lucky when I saw a good size X-ray transformer behind
a medical clinic, and I got it for free simply by asking. Now I have three
working X-ray transformers.

Godfrey Loudner