Re: Newbie with a few questions...

Original poster: "Gary Abusive by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gary_abusive-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>

>You should try aluminum foil and making a ground plane under the coil.
>Sort of like the one under the secondary system being tested here:
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/2001-01/P1210001.jpg
>
>Most of the RF currents will be limited to the immediate area and such a
>simple ground plane will provide the RF ground well.  I would also >ground
>this to the electrical ground for safety.

Thank you sir!  Much better, mucho multiple 5-6" sparks (need to increase
topload). New problem though, the secondary is coated with 4 coats of PU,
but I'm getting tons of little sparks comming out of the top and bottom
turns. :(   I'm thinking I did something stupid, I wrapped black PVC
elec. tape around the secondary above and under the windings (just liked
the way it looked), now, am I getting these sparks from the 'sharp'
edge of the tape???  Would a few more coats of PU help smooth it out?

>A coil with that input power may put out 25 inch arcs if everything were
>just right.  I wonder if the primary to secondary tuning is off a bit...

Well, I'll be very happy if I can get 10-12"

>Sliding tubing over a long length of copper is very difficult.

Well, you were right about that. :)

_Mike