Re: REAL CAPACITOR (where can i buy one?)

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/9/01 8:52:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:
snip - - -

> . I have the school's permission to buy a capacitor with pretty
> much an unlimited budget. I have lots of cash and i want a capacitor that
> will make my tesla coil kick!
> I want a professional Polypropylene pulse discharge capacitor, so where do
> buy one? I am in New Brunswick, Canada, so i want it from a company that is
> somewhere on this side of the planet! I am not really interested in MMC's
> because i have heard from a reliable source that they suck, performance
> wise, compared to professional pulse caps.
> I have a 1kva 120:4200 PT and i am feeding 300v into it. I am using a 20
> ohm
> 4.5 amp max rheostat and a burned out 250va 10000v oil burner igniter in a
> series with the pt for current limiting. I have no idea what is coming out
> of the PT, except that it is somewhere around 10500v. I have been running
> it
> this way for a few months now and it never gets warm. Is there some way
> that
> i can calculate just what is coming out of it so i can determine what size
> of capacitor i will need.
> Any help, advice and/or comments would be greatly appreciated!
>                                                            Sincerely,
>                                                            Drew Murray

Hi Drew!
Alltronics of San Jose California has a few Maxwell #37667s (0.03uF -at-35KV)
that they have been selling on eBay.  You might also check their online
catalogue <www.alltronics-dot-com> or email them at alltronics_sj-at-hotmail-dot-com
Matt D.