Incomplete HV transformer on ebay

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi All

I would like an opinion about an incomplete HV transformer on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1228500215 Is this
transformer suitable for a tesla coil power supply? Five of these have
already been sold. I got one with the intent of making it into an induction
coil by replacing the core with iron wires. Someone on the list emailed me
asking if I knew something about its use as a power supply. With only one
leg of the core present, there would be an incredible amount of magnetic
leakage. The transformer would have to draw a hugh amount of current to
build the magnetic field to the point where one could get a useful output.
Powering it up with no inductive ballast, I was able to get a tiny arc at
about 30 volt input; but the transformer was already drawing a LARGE
current. Pushing beyond 30 volt input greatly increased the flame of the
arc, but I was in danger of smoking a 50 amp variac. Then I employed the
same ballast I use on my pole pigs, but I had the same problem of drawing
large currents from the service mains. Is it the case that with all the
leakage from an incomplete magnetic circuit, that with or without ballast,
the transformer has to consume a large amount of power to get any
interesting consumable power from the secondary? This transformer weights
almost 100lb.

Thanks, Godfrey Loudner