RE: 70kv system questions

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

Jonathan -

The 70 KV TC shown in my Tesla Coil Construction Guide is about the simplest
and cheapest TC that you can build. However, it does have its limitations.
When changes are made in the components the tuning must be carefully
checked. You can do this by using the JHCTES Ver 3.2 online computer program
shown at my website

    http://home.att-dot-net/~couturejh/

Make sure that the inputs actually represent your coil's parameters because
some of the parameters have a large effect on the tuning. The program does
all the calculations to keep the TC system in tune when you make changes.

I suggest that you actually measure the the capacitance of the primary
capacitor or have a radio ham do it for you. You can check the ignition coil
by connecting it as shown in the wiring diagram except do not connect
anything to the high voltage terminal. When the power is on and the relay is
operating you should get a small spark from the HV terminal to a grounded
wire. There is high voltage present that can give a mean shock so be
careful.

I used a 2 inch diameter door knob that worked good for the secondary
terminal. Please let us know how you are doing.

John Couture