Re: ballast core

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 1 Apr 01, at 14:54, Tesla list wrote:

> <CTCDW-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> No, I would not have the E from this core. I just have a large (4.5 x
> 4.5 x 14") straight core. My understanding is that open ended cores do
> not saturate easily. I know of ballast inductors made of 300 turns of
> wire around a form stuffed with 'I's from old NSTs I don't think I
> would have to make this a multi-layer winding.. I'm pretty sure I have
> enough length to do it in one shot, but I haven't actually checked it
> yet. I'm still in the "can I do this without wasting money" stage :)
>
> Chris W

Why 300 turns? My approach would be to build an air-cored inductor to
meet the minimum inductance requirements of my system in such a way
as to allow the core to be slid in to boost inductance when required.

Malcolm