Saltwater Caps

Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I have made numerous beer bottle saltwater caps in the
past, but they always ended in broken bottles and an
oily, salty mess. I always bought "virgin"
(unrecycled, un-reused) bottles, although I only used
brown bottles. Using only 15/30, I consistantly
punctured every type of bottle I tried. I tried Pete's
Wicked Ale, Sam Adams Ale, and Budweiser 12 oz. and 40
oz. bottles. I carefully washed the bottles and used
adhesive spray to attach the aluminum foil. I
carefully applied the foil, to avoid wrinkles. I used
the cheapest motor oil available, the theory being
cheaper = less additives. I used a variac for tuning,
and only 15/30 with between 6 and 12 caps, but always
ended up blowing a hole in a cap. (This coil now gives
me great results using my MMC and a pig.)

Interestingly enough, it was a Seacor caps MMC (at 15
kV) that has proven successful with my coil. Greg
Hunter, on the other hand, (at 12 kV) had problems
blowing his Seacor MMC, and ended up returning to beer
bottle caps. However, he used clear glass bottles.

My question is this:
Has anyone ever determined whether clear glass caps
are better than brown glass caps? My limited knowledge
of glass thinks that clear glass has less impurities
than colored glass. Thoughts?

thanks
Adam

=====