RE: RF ground connection

Hi All, Kurt

  I wouldn't say it's a necessity, but the RF ground current can get quite
substantial with a big coil.  I believe it's because you're dealing with RF,
and the skin effect, so by "heavy" cabling, I believe "more surface area" is
more precise.  Probly much to the disdain of those on the list, I simply
sand ~3" on the secondary base lead (the 5-6" of wire hanging off) and wrap
that repeatedly around the 3 wire Romex I use for ground.  It works good for
me, maybe because my ground itself is really good.  I can see what you mean
about basically running 22 awg into a piece of 8ga welding lead, but I'm
pretty sure if you substituted a length of that 22awg wire for the welding
lead, you'd see a decrease in performance.  For my larger coil, Dave helped
me get a more oubstantial and robust connection for the ground.  But even
then, there's almost 3" of bare thin-gauge wire in contact with the
attaching point for the RF ground, so it's got a good healthy amount of
surface area to conduct over.

  Plus, I use the RF ground for the tranny cases, and line filters.  If the
tranny shorted to the case (bite my tongue!), I'd want the ground connection
to take the full 120v30A brunt of it and pop the breaker, instead of
trusting the house ground.  A piece of 22awg wire under 120v30+A will just
pop (trust me on that;), whereas the romex just gets warm for a second
before the garage plunges into darkness.  Oopsie....

   So do ya have to use mega-cable? Nope.  I'd suggest a nice healthy amount
of surface area for those RF electrons to crowd onto, tho.

Just my $.02 :)
									Sundog