Re: Big Capacitor?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2000 1:23 PM
Subject: Re: Big Capacitor?

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> >At 09:46 AM 10/8/2000 -0400, you wrote:
> >>I have a question or two for any one out there. How big would a
capacitor
> >>have to be, (physical dimensions), to have a value of 1 Farad? I know
that
> >>voltage rating would be a determining factor, but just a ballpark
figure.
> >>Has anybody ever seen one?
> >>Just curious.
> >>

> Hi Ron,
>
> Batteries can almost be considered as multi Farad capacitors.  There are
> also the "gold" caps that are into the few farad range as shown at the
> bottom of page 343 in the DigiKey catalog:
>
> http://www.digikey-dot-com/EC/V3/343.pdf
>
> Of course, the voltages are tiny compared to what we like and they are
> polarized...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Terry

terry-all,

Terry you must have skiped oversomething on that page, digikey sells caps up
to 50F! these caps are very small for what they hold. all of them would fit
in your hand. I was at one time (and still thinking of it) thinking of
making a 1kF cap. i didnt have the money so i gave it up. Just think what a
1kF cap would do, though it is only at 2.5v. i think it would do alot becaue
i know someone who bought one of digikeys 1F 5.5v caps and he charged it and
then discharged it with a small screwdriver. he said that some of the tip
melted from that.

i would like to know if anyone know the cap with the most capacitance  ever
made was?

MIKE