Re: Dwell and power arcs, was new pictures (Non sync motor question)

In a message dated 9/29/00 7:15:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> At lower speeds, I believe the dwell
>  time is long enough to allow the SLR cap 2 charge/discharge cycles with
>  each rotory electrode presentation. I corresponded with John Freau about
>  this
>  and that was his explanation for the possible cause of the power arcing of
>  the
>  RSG at lower RPMs and this seems like a good possible explanation to me
>  as well. Comments?
>
>  Coiling in Memphis,
>  David Rieben
>
>  PS-- the stationary electrodes are 1/2" in dia.

David,

It would be interesting to do a test by installing some electrodes
that are turned down to 1/4" dia or so near the ends to reduce the
mechanical dwell time, and see if this lets you go to a lower bps
without the power arcing.  Another alternative might be to test
some electrodes that are rounded to hemispheres at the ends
(but flat at the center of the hemispheres) and see if this stops
the power arcing at the low bps.  These test electrodes could
be made from steel or copper to keep the cost down and
simplify the test.

John Freau