Re: New sync gap

Hi Ed,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
>
> For others running big, solid gap set ups like this - what dimensions do you
> set your gaps at?

I run my gaps at 0.010" - 0.020".

>  I have tentatively set mine for .015".  I don't see any
> wobble or runout in the rotor or motor shaft.  Everything looks solid.  I am
> concerned that heating or maybe motor torque will move things and the
> contacts might hit.  This would be a serious problem and cause much damage.
> I will try this new sync gap first with my small 3.0" coil.  It presently
> uses a static gap of 5 gaps set to about .028" each or a total of .014".
> Does this tell me that I can open these new gaps up to maybe .025" each? - or
> is it better to run them as close as possible?

I think you will probably want to run them narrow at about your current set up
spacing of 0.015". As the arc will be series'd through 4 stationary's, you
probably won't exhibit a lot of stationary heating assuming the
stationary's have
adequate mass and heat syncing properties as compared to a singular stationary
gap. My arc travels through 2 air paths during conduction and I have only
warmed
the stationary's. It all depends on the power and time of run of course. If you
widen the gaps a little as you test it, you eventually find our the gapping
where
the coil begins to run erratic, and you can always narrow the spacing slightly
from there.

Good luck,
Bart