1200 RPM sync gap, was RE: I'm Sold on MMCs

Hi all,

 I believe we got all the previous posts to this one,

Here's my experience with the 1200 rpm motor,

  It worked fine on my 540 watt 9/60 coil, and okay up to ~1kva, where it
would begin failing to quench properly.  I suspect the electrodes were too
close for too long.  Using a larger disc (increases electrode velocity)
would help, but ultimately, the 1800 RPM motor won out.  I could run a
smaller disc and not powerarc (though my 12/180 bank did start to after
longish runs).  So for a small coil (up to 900 watts or so), it should work
fine with a 3/8 thick lexan rotor about 5-6" diameter and light electrodes.
i also found the 1200 rpm motor didn't like to hold sync very well (fell out
too easily for my taste), so I eventually scrapped it.  I'll stick with the
4 flat or 2 flat version.  *much* easier to grind the flats.
   FYI, I got my motor from an old AC unit.  It was the fan in the outside
unit (condensor?).  I forget the HP rating, but it wasn't much.  Now I have
a 1/3bhp Sears 1800 RPM sync motor (i ground it), that I need to construct a
frame for.  It'll spin up a 11.5" disc /w 4 'trodes and lock into sync with
a near-audible thunk.  I love it!
													Shad