Re: Spark Gap Question

In a message dated 11/26/00 7:18:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Hi John,
>
>  Good informative post comparing SRSG's to static gaps!
>
>  > Yes, a rotary can be used with a 15/30 NST, but it should be a sync
>  >  rotary.  Non-sync rotaries tend to destroy NST's unless many
>  >  precautions are taken.
>
>  Can you say what these precautions should be -- and what the probability
of
>  failure may be in spite of using these precautions?
>
>  Thanks!
>
>  Michael Tandy

Michael,

For using a non-sync rotary with an NST, the precautions would
include using a R/C filter network with MOV's such as
Terry uses, and keeping the safety gap somewhat narrow, and
accepting safety gap firing at certain lower break rates.  I know
that some folks have done this, and their NST's are still working.
I don't know how long it can last, possibly quite long.  I've never
tried the protective methods myself, and my NST was carbon-
tracked when I ran it in non-sync mode.  I always use sync
rotaries now with NST's

John Freau