Re: Warning Desasterous MMC failures, Rotton caps from Mouser.

Garry,
How far apart are your caps? With strings of 15 each, the individual caps
shouldn't see more than 1kV each. So, unless they are spaced <2mm, they
should not arc to each other... However, as far as the bleeders go, I think
John M.'s design for MMCs is best. Use 1/4" thick plexi or lexan and put the
bleeders beneath the caps.  I use those hosfelt snubbers which I mounted
that way with a spacing of 1/4" and it works flawlessly. Soldering these was
almost too easy. I used small dabs of 100% silicone caulk to hold each cap
in place, then I bent their leads down and tied all the bleeders in. After
that, it took about 5 mins per string to solder.
It seems to me $85 is a heck of alot to pay for 6.6nF. Maybe you should use
these:
http://www.illcap-dot-com/FilmRadialDetails.asp?FilmQuery_Action=Find('PARTNUMBE
RID','10771')&FilmQuery_Position=FIL%3ASERIESID+%3D+%2734%27ORD%3AABS%3A43KE
Y%3A10771PAR%3A
I bought these in my bulk buy earlier this summer. They cost 1.45 each, they
have a dv/dt of 4200, and they have a hefty expoxy potted package. Others
who bought these got a dramatic increase in streamer length when switching
from saltwater caps to these. However, the minimum order is 25 caps as I
recall, so you'll end up paying about $35-40 for a box. You could get two
strings of 5.5nF -at- 24kVDC for half of what you paid for those crap mouser
caps. I suggest you write mouser a nasty letter and move on. Heck, you could
even sell the other string of caps if you don't want them.
Just don't give up after a setback such as this. Please reconsider your
removal request, we're in this togather remember.
Hope that helped,

-Mike

mailto:acmnovak-at-msn-dot-com