Re: my first secondary, and other stuff

Hi Henry,

Don't worry about the ugly secondary.  It will
probably still work fine.  I've wound a few crappy
looking secondaries over the years, and they all
worked fine.

It's hard to guess how much capacitance you need for
your pulsed ignition coil power supply.  A single
750ml wine bottle is good for roughly 1500pF (1.5nF,
or .0015uF).  I'd start with one and tune up, then add
another bottle in parallel and tune up again, then add
a third bottle & retune, etc., etc., until you get max
spark length.  This will be a time-consuming process,
so budget a few hours for it.

If you want to have another go at measuring the
average output current of your ignition coil cluster,
try shorting out the HV across small flashlight bulbs
of known current rating.  Tungsten lamps make
excellent integrating devices, and they won't be
bothered by the pulsed current.

Cheers,

Greg
www.angelfire-dot-com/ga3/tesla