Re: PFC Question/GFI NSTs

Hi Jason,

        500uF is a pretty large cap for a PFC.  Be sure it is rated for "Motor
Run" and continuous 60Hz AC duty.  500uF will compensate about 2500 watts of
NSTs.  If you are running less, a PFC cap of that size may do more harm than
good.  If you have a static gap system, you may want to see the NST/PFC cap
study bellow:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/NSTStudy/NSTStudy.htm

        In another post you mentioned:
"Apparently my state has passed new regulations regarding Neon signage. When
trannies are replaced or upgraded they need to be replaced with a new "smart"
trannie. These new trannies have a built in GFI, if it senses a "unacceptable
current condition" it shuts off the juice."

Don't worry, we got plans for that! ;-))  The subject came up last year.  It
has not become a problem yet since all old NSTs don't have it but there are a
number of ideas to "fix" the transformers when we get to that point.

Cheers,

        Terry